The Village of Elk Rapids Department of Public Works is committed to maintaining and improving the Village’s streets and public utilities, while working with the Beautification Commission, Parks & Recreation Commission, Harbor Commission, Garden Club and other community groups to maintain the beauty of our natural and recreational areas.
Interesting facts about the activities of our DPW:
- The Village has 17.81 miles of street. Maintenance on these streets includes patching potholes, grading street shoulders and alleyways, dust control, storm sewer maintenance, tree maintenance, street sweeping, and ice and snow removal.
- The Village owns and operates 12 sanitary sewer lift stations.
- Last year, the Department of Public Works pumped, treated and distributed 77 million gallons of water to over 1,400 customers through 16 miles of water main.
- Last year, the Department of Public Works compacted 3,800 cubic yards of household garbage and collected more than 1,500 cubic yards of loose trash from Village Parks.
- The Department of Public Works maintains over 65 units of mechanical equipment.
- Each year, the Department of Public Works commits hundreds of staff hours over three months for leaf pickup, in turn, using the leaves as compost.
- Public Works employees are cross-trained in several areas, including welding, carpentry, masonry, plumbing, electrical, and information technology.
- The Village maintains sanitary sewer mains. Property owners are responsible for all maintenance of the sanitary sewer service leads from their dwellings to-and-including the tap into the Village sewer main.
- The Village maintains water service to the curb stop – usually located at the property line.
- Christmas trees and spring brush cleanup trees are chipped at the Department of Public Works site and made available to village residents for mulch.
- Street lights installed in the downtown area in 2009 have reduced electrical costs by more than 60%.
The Department of Public Works Superintendent submits a report of activities to the Village Council on a monthly basis. To view these reports, please visit the Village Council Agendas and Minutes Webpage.