The Elk Rapids Planning and Zoning Administrator is employed by the Village Council to act as its officer to carry out the proper administration of the Village of Elk Rapids Zoning and Unified Development Code. The Planning and Zoning Administrator processes nearly 3,000 permit and zoning issue inquiries and reviews per year, working closely with Antrim County Soils Erosion Officer, Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, and the Army Corp of Engineers to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local environmental regulations. The Village participates in the Joint Elk Rapids Community Planning Committee, established to develop the Elk Rapids Community Collaborative Master Plan.
The Planning and Zoning Administrator submits a report of activities to the Village Council on a monthly basis. To view these reports, please visit the Document Center.
- Review, evaluate, approve, or deny all requests for Zoning Compliance Permits through office and field investigations and ensure code compliance.
- Investigate reports of code violations, and when warranted, issue notices, warnings, and Civil Infraction citations.
- Meets with owners, tenants, contractors, developers, businesses mangers, or their representatives to review and explain code requirements and violations or potential violations; secures code compliance.
- Provide information to persons who request information or assistance with code related matters.
- Perform job functions as outlined in the “Village of Elk Rapids, Zoning and Unified Development Code”.
Kerri Esterley has over two decades experience in finance and accounting. Prior to accepting the position of Elk Rapid’s Planning and Zoning Administrator, Kerri served as the Village Treasurer. She has always had an interest in community planning and development and is excited to showcase her talents in this new opportunity.
She is a member of the Michigan Association of Planners and has completed the MSU Extension Citizen Planner Course. Kerri looks forward to continuing education to learn more about planning and zoning.