Gain valuable experience as a swim instructor at the local beaches of Elk Rapids, Michigan. Teach groups of swimmers of varying ages and abilities to enhance their swimming skills. Answers to the Village Manager, in consultation with the Parks & Recreation Commission.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach children and adult students with various swimming abilities water safety rules, swimming skills, and swimming strokes.
- Help more experienced swimmers learn how to better their swimming abilities.
- Assess progress of students and adjust instructing techniques and programming accordingly.
- Effectively communicate expectations and rules before each class/session.
- Monitor students to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Create programming and plan swimming lessons according to progress of students’ abilities.
- Administer sign-ups and take attendance.
- Ensure that swim area is kept clean, no left behind items or trash.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent thereof.
- Strong swimming abilities, sound knowledge of proper swimming techniques, and water safety rules.
- Proven experience working as a swim instructor or lifeguard.
- CPR, first aid, and American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor or Basic Swim Instructor certifications.
- Must have housing in the area and reliable transportation.
- Excellent customer service, conflict resolution, communication, and teaching skills.
TIME AND COMPENSATION:
- Eight-week commitment
- 10-15 hours/week
- $3,000 stipend