Here you can find updates from the desk of the Village Manager, Bryan Gruesbeck. This update was received by Village Council at the November 1, 2021 regular meeting.
This report includes updates on:
- The Island Property: On October 25, 2021 the Village Attorney and I received a proposed “Tenancy in Common Agreement” from the Elk Rapids Township Attorney Matthew Zimmerman. The Village Attorney and I are reviewing it and we will provide an overview to the Village Council in the near future.
- Short Term Rental Legislation from the State: The State House of Representatives passed House Bill 4722(H-11) at 3:30 a.m. on October 27, 2021. The legislation states that a short-term rental is a residential use of property and permitted use in all residential zones. It is not subject to a special use or conditional use permit or procedure different form those required for other dwellings in the same zone. STRs will not be considered commercial properties. The bill will move soon to the State Senate. There is some talk of a gubernatorial veto which could send the bill back for compromise language.
- Directional Signage Replacement: Many thanks to our DPW for replacing two (2) aged plywood directional signage with bright and shiny aluminum versions:
- Housing Task Force: The group met this past week and discussed developing an educational component that will help residents understand the unique workforce housing challenges faced by people considering a move to Elk Rapids. There was some additional discussion regarding ways to incentivize workforce housing projects in the community.
- Solar Panels: Marcus Evans, DPW Supervisor, met with representatives from EGLE regarding the placement of the solar panels at the Village Waste Water Treatment Plant (WWTP). Larry Knight (PowerHome Solar) estimates to panels to be constructed near the beginning of the new calendar year.
Future reports will be posted to the announcement page, and there will be an archive of Village Manager Reports on the Document Center (link to come soon!).