The Village of Elk Rapids is seeking a full-time, experienced, hands-on, and detail-oriented Village Treasurer to join our highly collaborative leadership team in serving our community. The ideal candidate is interested in public service, engaging with employees and the community, and has experience in public accounting/ bookkeeping. Reporting to the Village Manager, the Village Treasurer is responsible for managing the financial matters of the Village, including budgeting, accounting, payroll, financial reporting, and tax & utility collection.
- Maintain accurate financial records and prepare financial reports.
- Oversee and perform all accounting practices for the Village, including bank reconciliation, payroll and tax filings, and general ledger entries.
- Oversee the collection of taxes, utility fees and other revenues owed to the Village.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws regarding financial management.
- Manage investments and oversee the Village’s cash flow.
- Attend Village Council meetings (evenings twice/month) and present financial reports.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for the Village.
- Respond to and interact with the residents of Elk Rapids.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, public administration, or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ accounting or bookkeeping experience.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
- Experience with BS&A software or other ERP is a plus.
- Fund accounting, government, or public accounting experience desired.
- Ability to be bonded by the Village insurance carrier.
The starting salary for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 per year.
Our outstanding benefits package includes:
- Generous employer medical, dental and vision insurance plan
- 12 days of personal/sick time upon hire
- 10 days Vacation (accrued)
- 14 paid holidays
- Pension plan
- Optional 457 retirement savings plan (with Roth option)
Send professional cover letter explaining how you qualify for the position and resume to Kaitlyn Szczypka, Village Clerk at email@example.com no later than 5 PM, April 28, 2023. Open until filled.