The number one priority of the Village of Elk Rapids Police Department is to help residents, businesses, and visitors in our community. Community engagement and outreach are important considerations of the department, and they demonstrated this with the Police Talk with Elk Rapids youth and parents at Veteran’s Memorial Park on June 20, 2021. Over twenty kids and adults joined Chief Dave Centala, Officer Chuck Horn, and Officer James Westenbarger to discuss safety reminders and answer questions. Topics of interest included bikes, skateboarding, fireworks, swimming, body cameras, 911, stranger safety, cell phones and what to do when you are lost. The highlight of the event was when Officer James showed the kids his Police car and explained all the different technology they use! Thanks to Tracy Fosdick, Elk Rapids Village Council Trustee, for providing donuts and watermelon and organizing a great event. Special thanks to our amazing Police Department and Chief Dave, Officer Chuck and Officer James for leading a thoughtful conversation.
- Bikes, skateboards, scooters and rollerblades are not permitted on River Street between Spruce and Bridge Street.
- No Fireworks after 11:45pm; No Fireworks at public beaches; Fireworks are only permitted on private property at least 20 feet from homes.
- Swimming is only permitted at beaches; No bridge jumping at the Library Bridge, or the US-31 Bridge—Tickets will be issued at each bridge.
- When you are lost Chief recommends staying where you are and approaching another adult to ask if they can call 911.
- Cell phones are like minicomputers, use them wisely and never respond to texts, calls, or social media comments that you wouldn’t engage with in person.
Summary by Village Intern, Lauren Benitez.